Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Orphanage (2007)


I must admit, I have been looking forward to watching this movie. I just recently bought it, but haven't had the chance to sit and view it. A couple of months ago I watched Pan's Labyrinth, and loved it. When I saw that Guillermo Del Toro produced this, I knew it was a must see for me.

So when I decided to watch this I chose to watch without English subtitles for a couple of reasons. 1) I can't find the remote to my DVD player in my bedroom and I'm too lazy to watch it in any other room. and 2) I thought I would better enjoy "watching" instead of reading. Most of  all, if after six years of Spanish classes I can't understand it...we have issues. I'm glad I watched without the subtitles! There was a purity that wasn't ruined by my constant scanning words on screen. In Spanish I still got the plot and was able to actually see what was happening in the movie.


I will be the first to admit, if you want to scare me, put a kid in a mask. Tomas is so deeply terrifying to me as the "ghost" in this story. It is moving and beautiful to watch, but just as touching and emotional. I really enjoyed this as much as I expected, and am glad to have added it to the growing number of movies that I now have no more space to store. If you haven't seen this one you really should. It's a great film.

I really am growing an affection for everything Del Toro touches. I'm a huge fan of Hellboy and, as I mentioned above, Pan's Labyrinth. I look forward to finding more of his work past, present, and future.







Again, I will try to keep this a regular post, but need ideas from you! If you have a movie you want to share, please feel free to let me know in the comments. Thanks for reading this week's Terror Tuesday!

No comments: