Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Orphanage (2007)


I must admit, I have been looking forward to watching this movie. I just recently bought it, but haven't had the chance to sit and view it. A couple of months ago I watched Pan's Labyrinth, and loved it. When I saw that Guillermo Del Toro produced this, I knew it was a must see for me.

So when I decided to watch this I chose to watch without English subtitles for a couple of reasons. 1) I can't find the remote to my DVD player in my bedroom and I'm too lazy to watch it in any other room. and 2) I thought I would better enjoy "watching" instead of reading. Most of  all, if after six years of Spanish classes I can't understand it...we have issues. I'm glad I watched without the subtitles! There was a purity that wasn't ruined by my constant scanning words on screen. In Spanish I still got the plot and was able to actually see what was happening in the movie.


I will be the first to admit, if you want to scare me, put a kid in a mask. Tomas is so deeply terrifying to me as the "ghost" in this story. It is moving and beautiful to watch, but just as touching and emotional. I really enjoyed this as much as I expected, and am glad to have added it to the growing number of movies that I now have no more space to store. If you haven't seen this one you really should. It's a great film.

I really am growing an affection for everything Del Toro touches. I'm a huge fan of Hellboy and, as I mentioned above, Pan's Labyrinth. I look forward to finding more of his work past, present, and future.







Again, I will try to keep this a regular post, but need ideas from you! If you have a movie you want to share, please feel free to let me know in the comments. Thanks for reading this week's Terror Tuesday!

1 comment:

MrsCaptKerk said...

I'm not much of a horror film person, but I did see Guillermo Del Toro at Comic Con this past year. He was promoting "Don't be afraid of the dark" and even the clips were freaking me out. Be sure to see that when it's in theaters.