Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year rules to live by

I'm creating a list of things that I must do/not do in the next year. I've been through my share of shit in 2010 and I'm determined to make 2011 a better year for everyone! Who am I kidding? I'm incapable of this feat, but at least writing some of this down may concrete it into my head.

#1 Do not let anyone else determine how you feel about yourself. No more putting feelings into another person's hands. Just asking for disaster. If you need help recognizing that you do this...read here. This article explains what I couldn't seem to convey for a decade.

#2 Do one thing a day that makes you smile. Doesn't matter what it is...just smile more.

#3 Look at the world with childlike amusement more often. As adults we often forget how everything seems from a child's perspective.

#4 Do something daring. Step outside of your comfort zone once in a while...go ahead...it's ok :D

#5 Learn a new word every week. (use it in a sentence)

#6 Assert yourself!!! This one is huge. If you want something...get it. It's not going to fall into your lap and if it does, it's probably not worth wanting in the first place. Go after the fruit on the highest limb. It's much sweeter!

#7 Become more open to other peoples ideas. Sometimes others will suggest great things, don't shut them off at the starting gate. They may have your best interest at heart and if not what does a little fun hurt?

just drive!
#8 We are not given a specific number of days to live. Enjoy life while we're here. Love, laugh, and drink too much...it's over too soon! Be open to your feelings with others. Don't hide them for any reason!

#9 Take a road trip. Go no where...just go!

and finally #10 Don't dwell in the past. It's over. Learn from the past to realize the future will be better. If all else fails and the future is hard and stormy, remember that it could be worse and make the best of the stormy weather. Get an umbrella! 

Ultimately, this list was compiled with my needs in mind. I know my shortcomings and am fully aware of what I need to do to improve. Having this to refer back to through the year should help cement it in my head. Yes, 2010 was hard...so was 2009 and 2008 and 2007, but we are given the chance to make the best of 2011, why don't we? No more negativity and pessimism. I just want to genuinely be happy! I don't think it's impossible, I don't think it's improbable even...just going to take some effort to make it happen. So for those of you who look at the new year with disdain, make it better yourself. Ghandi said "Be the change you want to see in the world", I've always taken this to mean what it says...but look deeper. If you look at life through more positive eyes, wouldn't things be more positive? Just Sayin! This time, instead of complaining about how 2011 will suck, and you don't want to deal with it, make the best of it. There is always a choice in how we react in any situation. Make the positive choice a little more often. I can hear some of you now, "But I don't want to put myself out there and get hurt (again)" or "It's all bullshit anyway". Pain is a part of life and if we run from it forever we are doomed to experience it inevitably. It will catch you in some form or another. Why not say "fuck it" and just do what you want for a change? If we cage ourselves into being unhappy and miserable, how can we expect to ever feel anything but just that!

4 comments:

Max Evel said...

Happy New Years !

Drake Sigar said...

I wish you luck with your list. Happy new year!

Daniel White said...

I hope you have a prosperous new year and an awesome new you, well, you were already awesome! Great advice btw!

manda said...

I love you, sissy. To a brighter future and stronger us! We've defeated the demons of our past, so let's kick some MORE ass. ;)