Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Terror Tuesday

Now for my favorite post of the week. Actually this is just an awesome excuse for me to watch my favorite movies. Tonight's feature is....The Omen!

Another amazing early Xmas gift, and definitely one of my faves. I'm sure most who will read this have at least seen this movie once or twice. The original is still just as terrifying now as it was for me years ago, and for the sake of argument...we're sticking to the original 1976 version, Thank you very much! The remake of this isn't terrible necessarily, but it doesn't compare to what I watched as a kid.

I think what has always scared me about this movie, is the fact that there is supposed to be such intense evil dwelling in a child. The Anti-Christ idea would scare any preacher's kid like myself! Damien (Harvey Stephens) is such a strange child. I remember having dreams about this movie years after I initially watched it. Children in horror are always one of the most frightening things to me. Take Gage (Miko Hughes) in Pet Cemetery, that kid still makes me close my eyes when he's on screen. I guess it's the cross between what I want to believe is innocent and sweet and what is so obviously evil and terrifying. There are also rumors of certain occurances while filming both versions of The Omen. I have listed a few....

1)Scriptwriter David Seltzer's plane was struck by lightning.
2)Star Gregory Peck, in a separate incident, had his plane struck by lightning.
3)Richard Donner's hotel was bombed by the Provisional IRA.
4)Gregory Peck canceled his reservation on a flight. The plane he had originally chartered crashed, killing all on board.
5)Rottweilers hired for the film attacked their trainers.
6)A warden at the used in the "crazy baboon" scene was attacked and killed by a lion the day after the crew left.

There are also similar "curses" tied to the "Poltergeist" film series and also to "The Exorcist".

So if that doesn't have you desperate to watch this pure piece of classic cinema, check out one of my favorite scenes from this one.


1 comment:

Copyboy said...

Yeah, i was so scared seeing that head scene or the rod. Preachers daughter? interesting.